Hello there! It seems like its been quite some time since I’ve sat down and truly wrote out a post. I’m in a bit of an inspirational rut at the moment, and there’s also a post or two I’m way behind on posting. (The series of books I’m reading each month, anyone?)
But I figured, as a way to re-inspire myself to write, why not *properly* introduce myself? I think this could be fun, and I’d love to know your responses and reactions to some of these things! I’d love to know a few “facts” about you, too.
1. I will be a junior in college in the fall, and I am currently working on my Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. I plan on getting my Master’s at some point in the future, with a focus on providing therapy for kids with special needs. And ultimately, I hope to use that to complete a Doctorate degree.
2. My family has two cats, and well, I’m well on my way to being a crazy cat lady. I kinda really like cats …..
3. I play the flute and piccolo, and have for many years. But it’s on my Bucket list to play the violin, or rather, to make it weep. I absolutely love the sound of a weeping violin.
4. I do not handle needles or similar things well at all. Yesterday, I had to get a TB test, and came really close to passing out. I had to lay on the floor with my feet above my head. The same thing happens when I have to get blood drawn ….. so that’s fun.
5. I am a Christian, and more specifically, Brethren in Christ. I was born in the church, raised in the church, and Imma die in the church. However, as you can probably tell, I’m totally not against talking to people of other religions and beliefs; in fact, I think it’s rather important. I was even at a Jewish synagogue last fall for one of my classes … that was really cool.
6. I love Tim Burton movies. I could very easily write essays on the complex beautiful themes in some of them. And don’t even get me started on the incredible-ness that happens when he teams up with Helena Bonham Carter and Johnny Depp and Danny Elfman. My goodness, so good.
7. I can’t stand sappy Nicholas Sparks-esque romance movies, or even really dumb chick flick movies. Period. Also, I’ve never seen Titanic. No shame.
8. I read predominately classics. My two most favorite books are classics (Jane Eyre and Les Misérables), and most of the books on my shelf are as well. Also, I have never read The Hunger Games, The Fault in Our Stars, Twilight, the Divergent series, or any other popular book …. they’re not really my cup of tea. However, I am a sucker for The Lunar Chronicles by Marissa Meyer. They are so good.
9. I wear very little makeup on a daily basis, and I really don’t understand how some girls have the time to go through the “normal/expected” makeup routine. Like seriously, I ain’t got time for that ….
10. My favorite movies include the Pirates of the Carribbean movies, the Bourne movies, classic Disney movies, anything Time Burton, Pride and Prejudice (with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle), and Jane Eyre (with Toby Stephens and Ruth Wilson).
11. I am a big fan of oldies music. I really enjoy Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Ella Fitzgerald, Louie Armstrong, Nina Simone, Etta James, Elvis, and some Motown. I honestly cannot tell you any of the songs on Billboards Top 100 ….. And ya know, I’m absolutely fine with that …. Ignorance is bliss right?
12. Beyoncè greatly annoys me. Really badly. Also, so does Miranda Sings … and Amy Shummer …… We’ll leave it at that ….
13. I love big wild thunderstorms. Where I live, my house has a pretty good view, so when a storm rolls in, we can see the glorious clouds rolling together. I love the feel of powerful thunder and sweeping winds and blinding lightening … it makes my soul feel alive …..
15. My favorite time of the year is the fall – my birthday is in November, right before Thanksgiving. But I love the smells and the memories and traditions. Halloween is one of my favorite holidays, because of the memories of carving pumpkins and dressing up. But I also love Thanksgiving and the anticipation of Christmas. Plus, I’m kind of a sucker for Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade …..
16. I am right-handed. Also, I don’t wear contacts or glasses. And I’v never had braces. Nor do I need to get my wisdom teeth out ….
17. Generally speaking, I feel rather self-centered when I’m constantly changing my Facebook profile picture. For awhile there, my picture us of my back, or of me doing something I loved. I’m of the mindset that the profile picture should be a visual representation of who you are, and I believe I am more than a face. Does that make sense?
18. Here’s a secret: I’m in a relationship. Gasp, I know. But one of the things that’s really important to me, is to not flood my social media with coupley pictures, or to obsess over each other publicly. I won’t be posting a picture of us, until our sixth month mark, and even then, it won’t be sappy. That’s all to say, I can’t stand Public Internet Displays of Affection.
19. I put a lot of stock in pinky promises.
20. I could spend way too much money buying trinket trays, journals, and antique Victorian-style chairs. It’s bad ….
21. I can understand basic Spanish. I can understand, and speak, some complex Italian. I can understand basic ASL. My goal is to become completely fluent in one of those three.
22. I cannot sleep unless my closet doors are closed. I’m not afraid of the dark, but I’m afraid of what my mind thinks in the dark sometimes.
23. Spiders and snakes don’t really scary; they just kind of unnerve me. However, I have two really big fears. First, I’m terrified of getting to Heaven and feeling like I’ve disappointed God, feeling that I didn’t do enough with this life. Also, I’m terrified of a natural disaster happening, and my family not being together. That really scares me …….
24. I love to camp. I love being up close and personal with nature and being away from WiFi for a week or so. It really helps my soul ….
25. I don’t like coffee, but I love how it smells. Also, I drink mostly water. It’s actually quite rare I drink anything else.
Hi, I’m Julia, and that’s just a bit about me. Nice to meet you. 🙂